The New Tang Dynasty Television (NTD Television) “International Chinese Vocal Competition” is one in a series of international cultural and arts events hosted by NTD Television. The aim of this competition is to promote traditional vocal arts of pure authenticity, pure goodness, and pure beauty, and provide a world arena for all Chinese vocalists to showcase their talents.
The Competition will be hosted by NTD Television. The final round of the Competition will be broadcast through live stream video on NTD’s social media platforms. It will also be broadcast on NTD’s TV network.
Panel of Judges
The 2022 NTD International Chinese Vocal Competition has specially invited vocalists with the world-renowned Shen Yun Performing Arts to serve on its panel of judges.
One of China’s most celebrated tenors of recent decades, Guimin Guan was among the first artists to be named a “National First-Class Performer” by China’s Ministry of Culture, and later honored by the Foreign Ministry for “Outstanding Professional Contribution.” He has recorded soundtracks for over 50 movies and television shows, and is the recipient of numerous accolades.
Upon joining Shen Yun Performing Arts in 2006, Guan began studying under Shen Yun’s Artistic Director, learning the world’s most traditional form of bel canto. He now employs the vocal method of Shen Yun Performing Arts—authentic bel canto. Currently, Shen Yun is the only company in the world that has truly mastered this once-lost vocal method. He was a frequent adjudicator for national competitions in China, and from 2007-11 headed the jury of New Tang Dynasty Television’s Chinese Vocal Competition.
Min Jiang has had a flourishing career that began at age 17, when she was selected to perform professionally as a featured soloist with the Heilongjiang Province Arts Troupe. She has received coaching in both Chinese folk singing and Western vocal methods from many accomplished voice teachers, and has been an adjudicator for the New Tang Dynasty Television International Chinese Vocal Competitions since their inception in 2007. Since joining Shen Yun Performing Arts in 2006, she has given over 1,000 performances on many of the world’s great stages.
Known for her formidable and emotive voice, Haolan Geng won the gold medal at the First Music Competition of the Guangdong Arts Festival in 2007. A graduate of the Guangzhou Conservatory of Music, her 2008 graduation recital earned her critical acclaim. She later went on to star in the Guangdong Opera Company, and gained international attention in 2009 upon winning first prize in New Tang Dynasty Television’s International Chinese Vocal Competition. Also since 2009, she has been a soprano with Shen Yun Performing Arts.
Qu Yue performed in New Tang Dynasty Television’s 2006 and 2007 Global Chinese New Year Gala. He won Honorable Mention in the bel canto male division of New Tang Dynasty Television’s First International Chinese Vocal Competition in 2007. He has toured as a baritone with Shen Yun Performing Arts since 2007.
- Standard operatic repertoire.
- Types of vocal works include Chinese classic songs, arias, and art songs.
- The competition will consist of three rounds: Preliminaries, Semi-Finals, and Finals.
- Preliminary round: performance of one song of contestant's choice (selected from: a section of an aria Western opera; a lied; or one of the 15 Chinese songs provided by the Competition)
- Semi-final round: performance of two songs: one, a section of an aria Western opera or lied; the other from the Chinese repertoire (you may choose from one of the 15 Chinese songs provided by the Competition)
- Final round: Performance of two songs: one, a section of an aria from a western opera or an art song; the other from the Chinese repertoire (chosen from the 15 Chinese songs by the Competition, but it must be different from the piece sung in the semi-finals)
- The Organization Committee shall provide piano accompaniment for contestants. Contestants may also bring their own pianist(s).
- Applicants are required to submit all the vocal scores, lyrics, and accompanying musical scores to the Organizing Committee with the application materials. If the vocal pieces do not conform to the criteria of the Competition, the applicant will be notified by the Organizing Committee in a timely fashion.
The following is the list of the 15 Chinese songs provided by the Competition
- Download ScoreMy Sentiment to the Yangtze River. Lyrics: Li Zhi-yi, Music: Qing Zhu
- Download ScoreMan Jiang Hong (Full River Red). Lyrics: Yue Fei, Traditional Chinese Tune
- Download ScoreThree Wishes of the Rose. Lyrics: Long Qi, Music: Huang Zi
- Download ScoreOn Jialing River. Lyrics: Duanmu Hongliang, Music: He Lu-ting
- Download ScoreHomeland Nostalgia. Lyrics: Wei Han-zhang, Music: Huang Zi
- Download ScoreUnder the Silvery Moonlight. Tatars Folk Song, Adapted by Wang Luo-bin
- Download ScoreGa Da Mei Lin. Mongolian Folk Song
- Download ScoreSwallow. Kazakhs Folk Song
- Download ScorePlum Blossoms in the Snow. Lyrics: Liu Xue-an, Music: Huang Zi
- Download ScoreSkylark, You Wonderful Singer. Xinjiang Kazakh Folk Song
- Download ScoreIn That Distance Place. Lyrics: Wang Luo-bin, Music: Wang Luo-bin
- Download ScoreThe Gently Flowing Brook. Yunnan Folk Song, Music: Li Yinghai
- Download ScoreI wait for you to dawn. Kazakh folk song
- Download ScoreBeautiful Girl. Kazakh Folk Song
- Download ScoreAlam Khan. Xinjiang Folk Song
The application deadline is September, 2022. All application materials must be received by the Competition’s Organizing Committee by the deadline. No late or partial applications will be accepted.
The deadline to change the vocal pieces by an applicant is September, 2022.
2. Methods of Registration
- Internet: http://vocal.ntdtv.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotline: 1-888-477-9228
- Fax: 1-888-600-1998
- Mail: 229 W. 28th Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10001, U.S.A.
Attention: NTD Television International Chinese Vocal Competition
3. Personal Information
- The applicant should fill out and submit the International Chinese Vocal Competition Registration Form as well as the Resume Form; both of which can be downloaded from the Competition’s Website.
- Each applicant must provide two 1" × 1" color photos (digital photos preferred) and a copy of a valid ID.
- The applicant should submit a recent recording(s) of his/her recital (5 minutes minimum) in the format of audio (CD or MP3) or video (DVD or viewable online video link). NTSC DVD is preferred. The applicant’s information should be clearly marked on the cover of the disk. No subtitles or logos that reveal any information about the applicant may be displayed in the video. Otherwise, the submission will be invalid. If the applicant has difficulty in fulfilling this request, please contact the Competition’s Organizing Committee.
- The above application materials should be sent to the Competition’s Organization Committee by registered mail. All application materials shall not be returned.
4. Registration Fee[#1]
Nonrefundable registration fee of US$120. Applications cannot be processed without payment.
Accepted forms of payment include online payment, credit card, traveler’s check, or money orders.
Please make your check payable to New Tang Dynasty Television, and write “Vocal Competition” on the check.
5. Registered express mail charges
For contestants who need an original (paper format) invitation letter for visa application, an additional US $50 fee is needed for USPS Priority Mail Express International shipping. Please check this option on the Registration Form.
6. New Tang Dynasty Television is indemnified from any legal responsibility for any contestant who enters the U.S. with a visa for this Competition but does not appear at the Competition.
Note: Under normal circumstances, applicant’s registration becomes valid only after he or she has paid the registration fee. For applicants who cannot prepay the registration fee due to special difficulties, they are required to submit a formal written request to delay the payment of registration fee until the time of competition. There will be a US$20 surcharge in such cases.
Male division: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze;
Female division: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze;
Honorable Mention Awards will also be presented to exemplary contestants.