The New Tang Dynasty Television (NTD) “International Chinese Vocal Competition” is one in a series of international cultural and arts events hosted by NTD Television. The aim of this competition is to promote traditional vocal arts of pure authenticity, pure goodness, and pure beauty, and provide a world arena for all Chinese vocalists to showcase their talents.
The Competition will be hosted by NTD Television. The final round of the Competition will be broadcast through live stream video on NTD’s social media platforms. It will also be broadcast on NTD’s TV network.
Panel of Judges
The 2022 NTD International Chinese Vocal Competition has specially invited vocalists with the world-renowned Shen Yun Performing Arts to serve on its panel of judges.
Min Jiang has had a flourishing career that began at age 17, when she was selected to perform professionally as a featured soloist with the Heilongjiang Province Arts Troupe. She has received coaching in both Chinese folk singing and Western vocal methods from many accomplished voice teachers, and has been an adjudicator for the New Tang Dynasty Television International Chinese Vocal Competitions since their inception in 2007. Since joining Shen Yun Performing Arts in 2006, she has given over 1,000 performances on many of the world’s great stages.
Known for her formidable and emotive voice, Haolan Geng won the gold medal at the First Music Competition of the Guangdong Arts Festival in 2007. A graduate of the Guangzhou Conservatory of Music, her 2008 graduation recital earned her critical acclaim. She later went on to star in the Guangdong Opera Company, and gained international attention in 2009 upon winning first prize in New Tang Dynasty Television’s International Chinese Vocal Competition. Also since 2009, she has been a soprano with Shen Yun Performing Arts.
Before becoming a soloist, Gu Yun graduated from China’s prestigious Beijing Academy of Dance and went on to win multiple national-level dance competitions in China. After joining Shen Yun as a principal dancer in 2009, Gu Yun also dedicated himself to dance choreography and instruction before finally turning to his passion of singing. He pursued the study of voice with Fei Tian College professor D.F. in New York. In 2018, he won first place at NTD International Chinese Vocal Competition.
Tian Li began studying voice at age 7 before attending China’s Shenyang Conservatory of Music. After earning her bachelor’s degree, she then also pursued her master’s degree at the Conservatory. Tian Li has won awards at many vocal competitions. After auditioning into Shen Yun Performing Arts, she furthered her study of voice with D.F., professor at Fei Tian College, in the United States.
Gao Liang earned his master’s degree in vocal performance at the prestigious Gnessin Russian Academy of Music in Moscow. He is the winner of multiple international singing competitions in Europe. Before joining Shen Yun, he starred as Don Ottavio in Mozart’s Don Giovanni, Rodolfo in Puccini’s La bohème, and Nemorino in Donizetti’s L'elisir d'amore, among many other principal roles.
- Standard operatic repertoire. NTD "International Chinese Vocal Competition" only offers Bel Canto singing.
- Types of vocal works include Chinese classic songs, arias, and art songs.
- The competition will consist of three rounds: Preliminaries, Semi-Finals, and Finals.
- Preliminary round: performance of one song of contestant's choice (selected from: a section of an aria Western opera; a lied; or one of the 30 Chinese songs provided by the Competition)
- Semi-final round: Performance of two songs: one, a section of an aria from a western opera or an art song; the other from a Chinese song; or two Chinese songs (you may choose from the 30 Chinese songs provided by the Competition).
- Final round: Performance of two songs: one, a section of an aria from a western opera or an art song; the other from a Chinese song; or two Chinese songs (you may choose from the 30 Chinese songs provided by the Competition). But one of the two must be different from the piece song in the semi-finals.
- The Organization Committee shall provide piano accompaniment for contestants. Contestants may also bring their pianist(s).
- Applicants are required to submit all the vocal scores, lyrics, and accompanying musical scores to the Organizing Committee with the application materials. If the vocal pieces do not conform to the criteria of the Competition, the applicant will be notified by the Organizing Committee in a timely fashion.
The following is the list of the 30 Chinese songs provided by the Competition
- Download ScoreMy Sentiment to the Yangtze River. Lyrics: Li Zhi-yi, Music: Qing Zhu
- Download ScoreMan Jiang Hong (Full River Red). Lyrics: Yue Fei, Traditional Chinese Tune
- Download ScoreThree Wishes of the Rose. Lyrics: Long Qi, Music: Huang Zi
- Download ScoreOn Jialing River. Lyrics: Duanmu Hongliang, Music: He Lu-ting
- Download ScoreHomeland Nostalgia. Lyrics: Wei Han-zhang, Music: Huang Zi
- Download ScoreUnder the Silvery Moonlight. Tatars Folk Song, Adapted by Wang Luo-bin
- Download ScoreGa Da Mei Lin. Mongolian Folk Song
- Download ScoreSwallow. Kazakhs Folk Song
- Download ScorePlum Blossoms in the Snow. Lyrics: Liu Xue-an, Music: Huang Zi
- Download ScoreSkylark, You Wonderful Singer. Xinjiang Kazakh Folk Song
- Download ScoreIn That Distance Place. Lyrics: Wang Luo-bin, Music: Wang Luo-bin
- Download ScoreThe Gently Flowing Brook. Yunnan Folk Song, Music: Li Ying-hai
- Download ScoreI Wait For You To Dawn. Kazakh folk song
- Download ScoreBeautiful Girl. Kazakh Folk Song
- Download ScoreAlam Khan. Xinjiang Folk Song
- Download ScoreA Lovely Rose. Kazakh Folk Song
- Download ScoreSwan Goose. Folk Song
- Download ScoreSearching. Lyrics: D.F., Music: Gao Yuan
- Download ScorePamier, My Beautiful Home. Lyrics: Di Cong., Music: Zheng Qiu-feng
- Download ScoreGrassland in July. Lyrics: Song Bin-ting., Music: Shang De-yi
- Download ScoreThe Song In My Heart. Lyrics: D.F., Music: Guan Gui-min
- Download ScoreA Glass of Wine. Uyghur Folk Song
- Download ScoreWhat Is The Meaning Of Life? Lyrics: D.F., Music: Guan Gui-min
- Download ScoreAn Old Song. Lyrics: Wang Chi-jiu, Music: Zhu Jia-qi
- Download ScoreUn bel di, vedremo. Puccini
- Download ScoreIdeale. Tosti
- Download ScoreLonging. Lyrics: D.F., Music: Guan Gui-min
- Download ScoreSong of Two Places. Lyrics: Wang Sen, Zhu Liang-zhen, Music: Zhu Liang-zhen
- Download ScoreThat Is Me. Lyrics: Xiao Guang, Music: Gu Jian-fen
- Download ScoreE' la solita storia del pastore. Cilea
The application deadline is September 15, 2022. All application materials must be received by the Competition’s Organizing Committee.
2. Methods of Registration
- Internet: http://vocal.ntdtv.com
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hotline: +1 888-477-9228
- Fax: +1 888-600-1998
- Mail: 229 W. 28th Street, 7th Floor, New York, NY 10001, U.S.A.
Attention: NTD Television International Chinese Vocal Competition
3. Personal Information
- The applicant should fill out and submit the International Chinese Vocal Competition Registration Form as well as the Resume Form; both of which can be downloaded from the Competition’s Website.
- Each applicant must provide two 1" × 1" color photos (digital photos preferred) and a copy of a valid ID.
- The applicant should submit a recent recording(s) of his/her recital (5 minutes minimum) in the format of audio (CD or MP3) or video (DVD or viewable online video link). NTSC DVD is preferred. The applicant’s information should be clearly marked on the cover of the disk. No subtitles or logos that reveal any information about the applicant may be displayed in the video. Otherwise, the submission will be invalid. If the applicant has difficulty in fulfilling this request, please contact the Competition’s Organizing Committee.
- The above application materials should be sent to the Competition’s Organization Committee by registered mail. All application materials shall not be returned.
4. Registration Fee
1) Nonrefundable registration fee of US$120. Applications cannot be processed without payment.
2) Under normal circumstances, the applicant's registration becomes valid only after paying the registration fee. For applicants who cannot prepay the registration fee due to particular difficulties, they are required to submit a formal written request to delay the payment of the registration fee until the time of Competition. There will be a US$20 surcharge in such cases.
3) Accepted forms of payment include online payment, credit card, traveler’s check, or money orders.
4) Please make your check payable to New Tang Dynasty Television, and write “Vocal Competition” on the check.
5. Registered express mail charges
For contestants who need an original (paper format) invitation letter for visa application, an additional US $50 fee is required for USPS Priority Mail Express International shipping. Please check this option on the Registration Form.
6. New Tang Dynasty Television is indemnified from any legal responsibility for any contestant who enters the U.S. with a visa for this Competition but does not appear at the Competition.
Male division: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze;
Female division: 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze;
Honorable Mention Awards will also be presented to exemplary contestants.